Nature’s rule is that all things have a beginning and an end. Mould takes part in decomposing plant life, having a large role in the biological cycle. However, since it appears in damp environments, this fungi can also start decomposing walls, floors, windows, and doors.

When found in homes, mould is extremely dangerous and can ruin the appeal of every home, even one that is worth millions. To understand why you need window replacement if the framing is mouldy, here is some information you must know about:

How Does it Occur?

The ideal environment for mould growth is a damp, warm, and humid one. The walls, floors, and pipes we have in our homes can get damp due to improper ventilation, leaks, and faulty drainage. That’s why the most common areas for indoor mould growth are basements and bathrooms.

Sadly, mould reproduces with impeccable speed. This means that it can quickly spread from one room to another. Avoiding such scenarios means regularly cleaning and ventilating the home. Adequate heating/cooling systems, quality windows, and proper insulation will definitely reduce chances for its reproduction.

Interesting Facts

Even though it sounds evil, mould can actually be beneficial in some situations. First, it lets you know that you have water damage in the house. Second, it is used to produce beautiful types of cheeses. And third and final, mould is used for the production of penicillin. But, to getter a better grasp on mould and its behaviour, here are some interesting facts you should definitely not mention at the dinner table:

  • Mould is actually a living organism, a type of fungi (to be more specific)
  • There are more than 100,000 species of mould
  • During reproduction, it emits spores that can travel through air and water
  • Mould can withstand extreme temperatures as well as immense pressure
  • After water exposure, mould will start to grow within the first 24 to 48 hours
  • Mould allergies are common, affecting around 15% of the entire population

Dangers of Mould on your Windows

The Dangers

Whether you began to love or hate the concept of mould, one thing is for sure – it is extremely dangerous for human health. The spores it produces during the reproductive process travel through the air and can enter our lungs. This is how mould creates allergic reactions and asthma attacks.

In the best-case scenario, you will have frequent sneezes, itchy eyes, and a runny nose. The worst-case scenario is, unfortunately, death (we are not kidding), however, it can only occur in extreme situations and with specific types of mould such as Stachybotrys (also known as black mould).

Besides death, exposure to Stachybotrys can also cause memory loss, dizziness, lung bleeding, and hearing issues. Along with black mould, there are 4 other types commonly found indoors, but they are not as dangerous.

What Should you do?

The first thing you should do is inspect your home for mould growth. If you don’t notice any of the signs (we will mention them below), then definitely start doing some preventative measures early on. Think of adding energy-efficient windows and doors, improving insulation, purchasing ceiling fans, and unclogging gutters and pipes.

If you do notice mould, immediately contact professionals to remove it. Of course, if it’s a small portion, you can opt for DIY removal, but why bother yourself with such nasty fungi. Some situations will require more complicated procedures like changing sump pumps, window replacement, or installing new drywall.

What are the Signs?

Checking for mould growth should be done with the utmost precaution. Wear masks and gloves, and avoid touching it with bare hands. Sometimes the mould is hidden beneath floors, so you must be thorough in your search.

Besides walls, windows, and floors, mould can also be found in furniture, carpets, plant soil, wooden surfaces, fibreglass insulation, and even wallpaper glue. Here are the common signs you should look out for:

  • Reactions like asthma attacks, allergies, itchy skin, and watery eyes
  • An unpleasant, musty smell
  • Black, grey, brown, or green spots
  • Fuzzy white patches on floors
  • High humidity and water damage indoors